Solstice List: Books and Short Stories Not to be Missed 2012
I also write book reviews for my own page Only Five Star Book Reviews as well as for Hellnotes. Some of the books on the list you will find have been reviewed on both sites, but others have not. Not enough time in the day right now, to do all I want to do. But I will get to them.
All of these stories touched me in some way. Either the way the author used prose, the depth of characters, or the story. I only had a couple of rules; the story must be edited, no typos, gramamtical, or punctual errors. I don't care about style. If an author chooses to write about a character with a speech impediment, or accent, so be it. But to publish something that has numerous errors makes my teeth itch. If I get to chapter two and already have enough highlighted areas on the pages to make a black and white page look like it is printed on yellow paper, I toss it. Did that to about a dozen novels. Irritated the heck out of me. If you as an author, spend time and energy creating a story, spend some time or money or both, editing it. Please.
Second rule was it had to make me think or engage me in a way to let me get lost in it. That brings me back to rule number one.......if I am reading a story, I want to become lost. I want to wander down the trail of well-spun prose and sharp descriptives and I don't want to trip over poor editing and fall on my face.
That was it. Now the problem......I wanted a Top Ten List. I have 40......so, since this is my list I took the liberty of separating the stories and books into categories, cause I can. I have the Solstice Top Eleven (?) Short Stories and Long Fiction, Solstice Top Novels (20), and Solstice Anthologies.
On this list you will find a myriad of authors, writing styles and publishing dates. You will also find a variation on theme, voice, tone and style. One thing they all have in comon though is brilliant writing, great storytelling and a way to stick in your mind. Keep in mind these tomes have not all been published in 2012. These are the stories I have read this year that I believe are top notch.
Best Short Stories and Longer Fiction
- Flesh & Blood Jerry McKinney
- Tears of Love Jerry McKinney
- Prison Planet Billie Sue Mosiman
- Mourning Mansion Billie Sue Mosiman
- The Girl Bryan Hall
- Pisswidget Franklin E Wales
- Mama Said Lee Allen Howard
- Unleashed: Tail One Lori R Lopez
- Feed Jerry McKinney
- Frankenstein:Return from the Wasteland Billie Sue Mosiman
- Labour Pains Lee Allen Howard
Best Anthologies of 2012
- Zippered Flesh: Tales of Body Enhancements Gone Bad Weldon Burge*
- Dark Blessings John Paul Allen
- Dead in the Truck Craig Saunders
- Midnight Hour Neil Davies
- World Collider Richard Salter
- Night Sound Jerry McKinney
- Scars on the Face of God Chris Bauer
- 100 Unfortunate Days Penelope Crowe**
- Apparition Michaelbrent Collings**
- Gifted Trust John Paul Allen***
- Seven Point Star Craig Saunders
- Requiem for Dead Flies Peter Dudar
- Nightwhere John Everson*
- Selection Event Wayne Wightman
- Wishbone Brooklyn Hudson
- Shining in Crimson Robert S Wilson
- Don of the Living Dead Robert DeCouteau****
- Critique Daniel I Russel**
- Pressure Jeff Strand
- The Vampire Club Scott Nicholson****
- One Night Stan's Greg Sisco****
- Zomblog Todd Brown
- The Plauge Lisa Hinsley
- Widow Billie Sue Mosiman
- World Mart Leigh M Lane
- Anon Pete Giglio
- Chronicles of the Vampire Hunters: Creation (Book 1) Judgement (Book 2) Extermination (Book 3) Dustin Palmer
- Scrolls of the Dead- Legions of the Dark, Rise of the Legend, and Hunter of the Dead Billie Sue Mosiman
*Dark **Disturbing ***Dark and Disturbing ****Hillarious
Do yourself a favour and read these books. Read all of them. If you are a writer, read them and see what makes these great. If you are a reader, read them for entertainment and pleasure. I know I will be reading them again and again and again.........